Wednesday 23 December 2015

159 September 2014

 RansMail #159 September 2014
 
Zac. Barber-  Photos taken at Freshwater Bay Isle of Wight on the afternoon of Wednesday 20th. August.
The life boat was performing some manoeuvres specifically for the purposes of the filming but I do not know what the filming is destined for. The same drone was flying over Yarmouth on the evening of the 18th.
 
Bournemouth GA Fly-In, Saturday week, 28th September
Peter Greenrod is booked in & so am I.
 
Peter Gange had a Rollason Condor control problem (Jodel Forum)
After 17 years on the ground and a 7 year restoration, I did the 'Maiden Flight' of my Druine (Rollason) Condor D62B (with its Jodel undercarriage and brakes). It has a fresh and Wt & Balance and the C of G was carefully checked prior to flight and in limits. (20.7" aft at take off, increasing to 21.7 " aft with zero fuel: Permissible C of G 16.6" - 23.0" aft of Datum.
Take off was fine (though it took some time to raise the tail-wheel) and it flew with light controls. However, the real issue and discomfort on my part was at higher power Continental 0-200>2500rpm in trying to fly straight and level.  I ran out of forward trim and was almost out of elevator authority, maintaining forward pressure on the control column was a discomfort - 'pushing hard' on the control column I could stay level, but I had only approx. 1" - 1.5" of forward elevator movement left..... less than I would wish. These symptoms were reduced at lower power settings & then flaps. The landing, maintaining forward control column pressure was interesting !
Was this a C of G issue or possibly something to do with tailplane incidence?
Identified by at least 3 different responders, it turned out to be the lack of elevator gap seals. I NEVER EVER would have thought 5 ft of 2" tape could have made such a difference when the air gap was already close. Perhaps I should have known but I did not - nor was it in the build manual, let alone important. The gap seals totally transformed the Condor from being a cow to more of a Pussy Cat. She and now a sheer delight to fly, responsive, calm and controllable.
 
New RansMail Readers.
Pedro Molina (Spain). I am a Spanish S4 pilot, I will be happy if I could be a  S4-5 member. I have just bought a S-4, I will go to my new little S-4 in a few weeks when my job lets me. I will send you some pictures and a little text about me and my new S-4. Let me have some weeks !Arik Adams (California).
I just purchased a Rans S4 in need of rebuild and I'm pretty sure it will need new fabric.  Interestingly, Be-light aircraft has a prebuilt airplane they offer that is covered in Oracal 651 Sign Vinyl ? I wish I could find some other ultra/micro light aircraft using it. I need a propeller for the 447 Rotax & have not so far found much info about the Rans S4 on the internet. I have a hangar now I was able to purchase & picked up a pretty nice higher time s.m.o.h. AA5 Traveller with excellent compressions and still 400+ (fingers crossed) hours remaining for only U$10k. My son and I can now continue building time as we build this project. We dismantled many parts of the S4 and found damage to the engine mount and landing gear steel tubing, now under repair. Next all steel parts to media blasting and powder coat. I've purchased a later model set of wings undamaged and hoping to sort out what power plant to use and airframe covering material next, then probably change the large balloony heavy wheels to bicycle wheels as used on many legal eagles. Build log is on the www.homebuiltairplanes.com site in the "light stuff" category.
Gary Chater I have just looked in my log-book, our trial flight at Jackrell's Farm in my Rotax 982 Rans S6-116 was over eight years ago, how time flies.  My Rans was sold about two months after to a chap with his own airfield very close to the Humber bridge.  I had a memorable flight up there, landing at Sandtoft in a proper crosswind and deciding that it was unsuitable for the familiarisation flights I had promised him.  I then flew on to his field, which had three short runways and a makeshift hangar.  He'd bought it for about £20k and I remember thinking if only such a thing were possible in the South....  Unfortunately just over a year later he wiped out half of the undercarriage in a take-off accident . Repaired, its had a several owners since & is currently out of permit, but the last change was at the end of last year, so perhaps it is being brought back up to scratch.
At the time I sold the S6-116, I also owned the prototype Whittaker MW7, a little single seat tail-wheel Group A machine which was tremendous fun.  It really made me appreciate a narrow cockpit from a downward view perspective - if you think about it, something the size of a whole town can be completely obscured by a passenger seat in a side-by-side aircraft.  When the time came to find another two seater, I was thus drawn towards tandem seating.  I looked at a couple of Rans S7s, one was sold from under me as I was on my way to see it.  They are much rarer than the side-by side Rans, probably because my views on tandem seating are in a minority.
I have always liked CFM Shadows & found one of only five UK registered Starstreaks for sale owned by an ex Concorde first officer & immaculate.  Unfortunately with a Rotax 618, which has something of a reputation & one day it blew a hole in a piston on the way back from Duxford and I landed in a field only a mile from home.  This was my third engine failure, the first being a partial one in a Thruster TST with a Rotax 503, the second total to a Lycoming in a Slingsby Firefly.  I had only done 21 hours in the Starstreak, but I knew someone who wanted a 912 powered version.  Since they are rare, he bought it & to fit a 912.  I still had the MW7, whilst seeking either a Starstreak, a Streak Shadow or a Rans S7.  I ended up looking at a couple of Streak Shadows, by when I knew to weigh them as they fly so much better when light. One on the scales was 209kg, 33kg over the owner's claim, I suggested that he amend his AFORS advert, but somehow he never quite got round to it........... Eventually five years ago I found a nice one. It's David Cook's old Streak Shadow prototype from 1988, G-BONP.  It is based at a little known strip in Oxfordshire called Landmead Farm, which is probably the roughest strip in the world and also at least 50 minutes from home, but otherwise ideal.  The aircraft has some interesting history, including a record flight to over 27,000 feet.  Partly for this reason, it is kept in original specification, which means a pull start, no side windows and no extended passenger footwell.  It weighs 188kg and flies very nicely, sometimes I'd like something faster, but most other bases are covered.  For years it was CFM's factory demonstrator and is the only factory built Streak.  It was used to develop modifications to the CFM line, including electric trim, jury struts and the slipper fuel tank, in places you can see where it has been doctored.  Parts are decidedly non-standard, the fuselage is made of a different material from any other Shadow.  The best flight so far has been a North Cornwall day trip, because I really needed a good Cornish Pasty !  This one is a keeper, although I could be swayed by a Rans S7 at some point in the future.  At the moment, my tail-wheel fix is only provided by my biennial check - always in a Super Cub.
Tony Mousley.  A student pilot, based in Stratford Upon Avon, wrong side of 70 (growing old disgracefully?). Learning to fly with the brilliant Irwin Baker at Sywell. Sort of set my mind on a Rans S6 tail-wheel when I qualify.
Chris Drake. I was wondering if you could add me to the mailing list ? Also, I'm trying to track down the July 2009 issue if you have it available [Sent, mike]. I live in Edinburgh but am originally from the north west coast of Scotland. I love flying and until now I have not been able to afford it. A PPL would not be necessary for me because the type of flying I want can be achieved with a 3 axis microlight. I aim to get my NPPL and eventually purchase a Rans S6 or similar with the ultimate goal of flying in the Scottish highlands. An added bonus for me would be to be able to use bush wheels or floats and fly I to remote areas of the Highlands that aircraft rarely visit, however I'm not sure how realistic that would be.
 
Rotax 912 Rad Cap. alternative. (BMAA forum 26-08-14).
Triumph motorcycle dealer part No. T2108005 (1.2 bar).
 
Jock Munro. A replacement radiator for Rans 582 - (mine was leaking).
A bit of online research and phone calls reveal the following product is the same, £86.40 inc. VAT & next day deliveryhttp://www.radiatorshop.net/products/vo ... s-ls-13318Size: 1588cc Transmission: M/A Cylinders: 4 Year: 07/75-01/76 Size: 480 - 320 - 34 Notes: SE,55, P/N: VW2005.
Successfully fitted the replacement radiator to my Rans without a hitch, it's better than the original because there is an additional outlet top starboard side of the radiator & also one at the bottom port side which I blanked off using an 8mm self tapping screw and PTFE tape. The upper starboard outlet comes capped off internally so needs to be drilled out through the outlet. The radiator can then be fitted (spot through & drill mounting holes on the corner tabs) and then filled from the filler until coolant starts to flow from this outlet. Block it off using 1/4 inch short section of rubber hose with bolt and wormclip so it's easily opened again in future. Finish filling through the grub screw on the top of the engine to make sure no air pockets remain. Last time I replaced the coolant in my old set-up it took me best part of a day to get rid of the airlock in the top of the radiator by filling running and topping up then testing before repeating a number of times. This time it worked from the off.
Part number 8MK 376 715-131 is what you need to quote for the radiator. It will be best to ring them as they were unable to supply the radiator linked to above as it is discontinued and they couldn't give me the URL of the replacement to allow online ordering. The alternative they sent was identical apart from the additional extra outlet I mentioned. 
 
The Annual General Meeting of Light Aircraft Association Limited will be held on Saturday 1st November The Cirrus Suite, Sywell Aerodrome, the meeting commences at 11:00 am.

LAA Sywell week-end 29-31st August.
 
  
Quite a surprise Friday at first the wx looked well set in to heavy black low cloud & much rain despite a forecast to the contrary, then suddenly at midday it was do-able - with the brisk tail wind we (George & I) in the  Rans S6-116 followed closely by Rod with his Jodel DR1050 MM arrived up there handily for 1 p.m. George owns the static exhibit hangar queen Escapade & is a retired part time instructor on microlights so was a calm px despite the buffeting etc. being sharp eyed spotted other a/c on the way.
Even in the Jodel Rod found it very unpleasantly bumpy. SkyDrive provided an oil & filter bargain and we looked around. The Weslake opposed two stroke blown diesel in the Groppo Trail might do rather well as Weslake guys there were giving full technical support. Weslake have a good history in motor racing so maybe they will produce something viable but its likely that the certification costs will either kill it or jack up the price so its not attractive, worried Rod. Despite all the wondrous super light 'planes on view the wx made one realise too light is no fun & obviously put many fliers off as we joined the circuit hassle free from the Pitsford area. Jackrell's Luscombe couple went that afternoon too & camped two nights, said it tipped down late Friday evening when they got back from the pub eatery. Pilot said was not quite so rough when they flew up.
Peter Greenrod (Bede) - I went on Saturday morning and flew in formation again with Tony Higgins in his Europa.   We had to do a bit of scud running to get out of here and until past the hills,  90 deg to track at times.  A great fun  and a good tail wind so still got there on my slot time.   We stayed overnight in my wing tent again.   Back Sunday midday but a bit lumpy for the return journey.
"Captain America" (Toby Jones  photos) arrived at Sywell, but did have to put the mask on to keep his identity secret when at the end of the runway after taking the headset off........so he arrived to the surprise of a few marshallers....  .....   5 mins then a quick change !!    :-)
[After seeing a picture of my plane on Friday my son in law came back 10 mins later with the costume and bet me to wear it......    I have Captain America roundels on the wings etc.]
 
Saturday 23rd August Sussex UK
A small group of Southern Flyers got airborne, me (Clive) Escapade, Tim & George C42, Tony Fowler and Jonathan a Gyro each. Joined by Don Lord, Rans S6-116 from Swanborough Farm. We sat in the sunshine at Sandown and relaxed while watching the air activity and chatting. Don's Rotax 912 stopped in the round-out, which made his taildragger bounce a bit and just kissed his prop on the ground. As it wasn't under power, he got away with it luckily. The wind had picked up to 15kts when I left, which produced a very short take-off. Thorney hangar was closed, and Lee-on-Solent looked inactive as I flew along the Solent. Jonathan and Tony went on to a fly in at Freshwater Fruit Farm. Nice strip and friendly lot unfortunately only one other microlight there (resident) I believe a Dragon. A strong cross wind was evident and they both landed on the square -- later to learn that it was meant for model planes !  Lovely flight back.
Mike & Rans went instead to Stoke Medway's notorious banana shaped strip with finals all alongside a line of National Grid Pylons & a fierce cross-wind to boot.
 
Trevor Sexton noted from an aviation enthusiasts group that a Rans S4,  G-MWWP  has been located hanging from the roof of Brocklebank Reclaims. 1 Ivy Cottage, Keddington, Louth LN11 7IH.  01507 604800 and/or mob. 0788 084 8287.
Peter Greenrod Spoke to the guy..... "not for sale, but I will have a longer conversation with his son who actually owns it and get back to you".
The major BMAA 'Spamfield' Rally, 5th to 7th September at Sandown, Isle of Wight.
They had 218 aircraft in over the weekend (mostly Fri/Sat), and the charity buckets yielded £979, subsequently topped up to £1000 by the BMAA chairman, to be shared between the Hants and IoW Air Ambulance and the BMAA Foundation.   The BMAA Council passed on their thanks, as did Richard Keyser (Colemore Common Airfield) to the Hampshire Microlight Flying Club & its volunteers for a very successful Spamfield, especially to Sandra, David and Daryl without whom the event would not have happened. To Tony and Jonathan for the use of their airfield and to Henry and the team for the safe and slick operation on the ground and on the radio. HMFC members (inc. Peter & Mark Jackson GT450 flex-wing & Clive Innocent, Escapade) worked hard to meet each arriving aircraft to collect landing fees and charity donations.  It was a very enjoyable weekend.
 
The annual Jodel F.I. at St Omer.That same poor vis. w/end at least two Rans S6-116's made the trip to France & a pair of Irish pilots flew all the way there, non-stop, in a Pipistrelle microlight.
 
                   
 
Frank's pal Gwyn's intermittent (and expensive) black box ignition behaviour on his P&M Quik GT450 trike & 912 Rotax - Continuation from Trevor Sexton & RansMail #155 May 2014).
They couldn't get the engine started & have been subjecting the thing to a high level of detailed technical investigation - AC voltages and waveforms from ignition energising coils, trigger pickups and that sort of thing and have managed to eliminate everything up to the control boxes themselves. We are now forced to fit new units having eliminated almost everything else. There is one test which I would love to have been able to do before this Draconian and expensive action: to measure directly the rotor magnetic flux and compare this with a new unit. Rotor magnets have often lost magnetism in other engines applications. I have a feeling that the Rotax ignition units have a distinctly marginal performance at cranking speed: If the alternator rotor magnets have lost any magnetism, it is likely to have an inordinately large and deleterious effect on BOTH ignition systems as is the case with Gwyn’s machine. I have always subscribed to the belief that while a single electrical failure is always a possibility, a double electrical failure is almost certainly the result of a system design flaw. No cant needed here. I speak with the experience of having designed and coded a microprocessor-based engine management system with capacitor discharge ignition. For case reference we are seeing about 8V peak from the trigger coils and 30V p-p across the ignition energising coils, both measured open-circuit normal cracking speed. All static resistances measured and in general agreement with Rotax supplied figures. Has anyone else carried out open-circuit voltage measurement using a calibrated oscilloscope ?
Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is not possible to assess the rotor magnets directly without taking the engine apart so we are now stuck with doing what everyone else does with the same problem: to give Rotax £500 for another pair of its crappy boxes and hope this does the trick.
Gwyn has alerted Rotax to the problem by filling in an incident report form (not sure how many people do) and been talking to Nigel to see if I can get any answers out of Rotax HQ, also to Roger at P&M. It seems there may be a pattern, or it could be that the only people motivated to respond are those with the engines in the timeframe that Andy Buchan mentioned. A pattern to the death of the 912 ignition modules. Andy Buchan observed that in the last year 3 aircraft known to him have needed them replacing - all circa 2006 and in the G-CDxx range. Gwyn's is 2006 / CDWO and so it number 4.
If you have had your modules replaced - or know someone who has it would be really useful to establish if there is a pattern which may point to a manufacturing defect in a serial number range of engines/modules and so please email me directly gwyn at carwardine dotnet.
There are 4 main versions of the unit, which Conrad has well documented here www.conairsports.co.uk/4-stroke%20ignition.html#smdmoduleidentification  It suggests there are two different types of trigger (with or without clamps) and they have different resistances - whether the module is different according to the trigger type I don't know. Every other measure seems the same: according to the page, from 1995 anyway they were all clamped triggers. Apart from that it may be that it's only the connectors that are different. I guess Conrad is the best person to ask... I can't imagine any of the other internal gubbins in the SMD is any different and there don't seem to be multiple versions of flywheel (the very latest improves starting but is not required) or triggers or coils etc., so I can't see why the modern gubbins could not work with the older (post 1995) engines. Older 80 h.p. 912 UL black box models ca. 1999 could accept the new £500 pair of soft start modules - even though that feature is not needed. I imagine the connectors might need swapping ? Connector conversions: microlighters.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7495#p7495
Frank says: Just working from what we know (and have measured) produces the following: The ignition energising coil on the alternator produces 30Vp-p AC on open circuit at an engine cranking speed of, say, 250rpm. The EMF of a generator coil - any generator coil - is linearly dependent on the rate of change of magnetic flux intersecting the coil. Since rotor magnets in an alternator produce constant flux, then the open-circuit AC EMF produced by the energising coil is linearly proportional to rotational speed. In the case we are looking at, the engine changes the magnetic flux passing through the coil 20 times as fast at full speed (5000rpm) as it does at cranking speed. Thus a completely open circuit energising coil is theoretically capable of producing 600Vp-p. There are a couple of issues here. First, the charging circuit for the capacitor discharge ignition system takes energy from the coil thus reducing the working EMF. However, if any degradation occurs in the circuit following the energising coil which effectively reduces its loading, then the applied voltage will rise, so increasing the stress on the remaining system components. This is the reason that disconnecting a spark plug cap is never a good idea: the reduced loading increases voltages elsewhere, possibly to damaging levels. Having thought about the circuitry commonly employed in cap discharge ign systems, the capacitor which gives the name to the system does indeed run under high stress and, depending on its quality and rating, could partially fail over time. For instance, over-voltage might produce internal burning of the delicate foil-insulator membranes within the component, reducing service capacity of the device while not killing it completely. A capacitor so affected might retain enough energy storage at higher engine speeds (= higher voltage, bearing in mind that stored energy increases as the square of voltage across a capacitor) to fire the plugs, but is then unable to store enough energy at cranking speeds. A comprehensive cap discharge system (such as is found on modern road vehicles) incorporates switch mode-style power supply components to hold over-voltage within safe limits regardless of external fault developments. I suspect that the Rotax module is fairly basic and does not incorporate any kind of over-voltage protection. If a batch of modules were produced with a discharge capacitor rated at, say, 600V DC rather than 1000V DC (I am making these figures up but they are in line with known system design rules) then a reduced service life might be the consequence. Equally the same could be true if mylar capacitors of the correct voltage rating were replaced with polyester units of the same voltage rating to save on component costs. But we will probably never be able to prove these things one way or the other since the components are sealed in a tomb of epoxy. Certainly the presence of twin ignition systems on the Rotax 912 could mask the slow brown-out of both modules even though they are independent systems. It does fit the reported facts about failures as posted on the forums.
Let’s hope that the latest batch of ignition units are more robust than the failed ones. Reports noted on the BMAA forum: So far 6 on the list - all 2005-2006 (G-CDxx) e.g. CTSW, 2007 ignition modules had to be replaced in April with 506 hours running time. Trevor V*** has replaced other modules with the same sort of hours, reporter knows of 3 aircraft in that situation. Also Davwww.microlightforum.com/showthread.php?10322-912-SMD-ignition-modules-correlating-engine-details-where-replaced/page2
A 6 pin non soft-start SMD module fail fairly recently at 411 tacho hours on my 912S in G-CEXM. Total failure, never recovered. Gary Masters supplied a s/h unit to test failure theories and proved top SMD module had indeed failed. Alan - Engine S/No 5 649 347, supplied 2007 via Flylight with Swift kit.  Terry - I first ran the engine on my current 912s in Feb 2005 and had a module failure and replaced it on 20-07-09 If I remember it was the top one that went kaput. Peter - Swift 912s wouldn't start yesterday. Today used jump leads from additional battery and cranking speed a lot better, still wouldn't start. Used Wife's hairdryer for a few minutes (on the modules not me !! ) Then it started instantly, so It looks like the SMD modules are on way out if not gone already. My engine is Ser. No 5649058 manufactured 07/2007 and has only done 290 hours.
 
Wind extremes (via Peter Noonan, Escapade with Rotax 912)
Atlantic depressions at Shetland give average winds noticeably greater than mainland U.K.
Lerwick has some 40 gale days annually, January is windiest & no month gale free. 1993 had a phenomenal incidence of 18 consecutive gale days & an hourly mean wind record of 66 kt . The ‘New Year Hurricane’ of 1992 led to widespread damage and two deaths, blowing a hut and occupants over the cliffs at Hermaness, Unst.
The day before a 985mb low developed at the left exit of a strong WSW jet whilst a sharp thermal trough extended from SW Iceland to the Hebrides with a thermal ridge building behind it. This combination deepened the low to 966mb then 957mb just NW of Faeroe. Its centre travelled 660 nm in 12 hours i.e. 55kt.  Passing Faeroe it was down even more to 947mb - in the early hours of 1st January & Muckle Flugga Lighthouse a UK record 73kt wind gusting l50kt.  And an unofficial record from an oil rig NE of Unst placed mean speeds at l03kt (125mph), with gusts at 169kt (194mph). Allen Fraser.
 
London CTR Class D from 18th September 2014, Standardised European Rules of the Air.The change to Class D offers the best balance between enabling access while ensuring a safe and efficient air traffic environment as under SERA, VFR and SVFR flights could no longer be operated in Class A airspace.
Meanwhile Farnborough's going through the 'consultation' charade prior to a giant airspace grab - regardless.
 
Nuthampstead Sunday 14th Sept. 'New Strut' Fly-In, to meet a chummy Jodel owners crowd.
A nice Rans S-116 flight,  with thanks to Gary Jackson of the Jodel Owners Club for the invitation. With out & back flights & a BBQ stop off at Nuthampstead I routed west out, & easterly back, to fly completely around London with full guidance from the mapping AWARE. Pity the ground monitor's hand-held RT batteries took a pasting towards the end. FWIW. I recently re-engined my old standby Icom with a Far Eastern 12 volt rechargeable pack which fitted easily inside the old slide on unit and a charger came with it too, all for £6, & which connects to the inside through the existing standard 12 volt jack.
 
UK CAA
ORS4 No.1031: Exemption to permit pilots with valid single engine aeroplane class ratings to fly the Colomban MC 12 and MC 15 Cri-Cri.  http://www.caa.co.uk/ORS4No1031
 
IN-2014/139: Pilot Licences Single-Seat Powered Sailplanes within the Microlight Mass Limit
 
Safety Data - General Aviation Report: August 2014 - General Aviation Report.
 
Peter Noonan (Escapade Rotax 912) recommended MetCheck for weather. Choose 'hobbies' tab, then 'aviation' to obtain cloud base and visibility forecasts for anywhere you wish. e.g. https://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/aviation_forecast.asp?LocationID=1488
 
More on Flying Abroad from Great Britain (AOPA summarised text) - Flying your from any aerodrome in the UK to the EU land/depart from a foreign airport that has a customs & immigration presence. Out from the UK & return can be your own strip. The UK CAA/NATS Southern Chart covers the French coast from Calais to Cherbourg.
ATC and Use of English, Flight Information Service can provide traffic advice if practicable. FIS at Approach Control units may allow transit of certain pieces of airspace more easily. Your chart has the FIS frequency.
File a Flight Plan to cross the UK/French FIR boundary, file another for your return to the UK. - On short trips file both from home. Primarily it's to alert any interested ATC facility, search and rescue, and national security purpose. BUT does not constitute formal notification or request to land at any aerodrome or use of its services (e.g. customs, immigration, fuel). Flight plans should be activated when departing with ATC via RT & when you land at an aerodrome with ATC it must be closed, via telephone if you were unable to reach an appropriate unit in the air.
Documents to be carried: Airworthiness Certificate; Airworthiness Review Certificate; Certificate of Registration; Aircraft Radio Licence; Certificate of Release to Service; Aircraft POH/FM or copy ; Weight and Balance schedule; Noise certificate ; Aircraft Insurance certificate; Certificate of VAT paid in the EU (Single Administrative Document C88). As well as: Crew licences; Passports for everyone travelling.
Survival equipment appropriate to the flight, lifejackets at a minimum, ideally a life-raft. Safety Sense Leaflet 21.[In many European countries, your aircraft must have an Emergency Locator Beacon (ELT), OR you MUST carry a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) with you.] Mode C transponders may required in many European countries, supplemented by Mode S for operating in and around some busier terminal areas.
Complete a GAR form and send to the National Co-ordination Unit (NCU) responsible for forwarding the GAR form onto the appropriate Customs (HMRC), Immigration (UKBF), and Police departments. GAR Form Submission Instructions may be read and downloaded here. It does NOT replace the need to comply separately with any PPR or flight plan requirements. You will receive acknowledgement by email if you submit via the online method. If the pilot hears nothing simply continue knowing that he MAY be checked either before departure from or on arrival into the UK. The aerodrome abroad needs advance notification for foreign customs & immigration. It is advisable to carry your passport and pilot licence with you at all times. Do remember to file a flight plan if you are going to cross an international FIR boundary.
Fuel Duty Drawback. Use HMRC, Form HO60 to recover the UK excise duty (Mogas from a regular petrol station too) on all the fuel in your tanks when you left your last UK departure point. Send signed form with fuel receipts to HMRC Mineral Oils Relief Centre, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE98 1ZZ.
 
Old RansMails are now on line courtesy Peter Greenrod. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4702449/Ransmails.pdf
 
BTW. The ISPs I use block large lists of recipients when distributing RansMail & I've now split the mail-outs into several more bundles to accommodate over 400 readers. 
Mike
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment