Saturday 9 January 2016

RansMail #006 March 24th 2004
I picked the following off the US Ransflyer pages, though I think the question originated from one of us here.
I found it useful as it ties in with my Rans assembly data for the USA version, where if the optional wing tank is installed the fuselage tank is not provided with a filler cap. This is logical as this standard fuselage tank with fitted cap had shed a lot of rubber droppings into my a/c's fuel tank. When first seen on purchase, V & I had to spend some time extracting the swollen gunge & this was just from the Rans supplied bung breaking off at the edges. When V visits the USA shortly I hope he'll collect a couple of rubbers for me that he's ordered off Rans, as the UK outlet is horribly expensive with excessive minimum charges.
From: "Jim Roberts"  Date: Th. Mar 4, 2004.
Subject: Re: RANSfIyers Rans S4 Fuel selector.
If you don't use the selector, the tank behind the seat must have a fuel cap that seals tight, and it must be vented to the top tank. The top tank and bottom tank must vent together and it should be as high on the top tank as possible. Sometimes when you fill to the max. even with the vent as high as possible it likes to siphon when the fuel warms up (sitting on the ground).
----- Original Message ---- Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 3:24 PM
subject [RANSflyers] Rans S4 - Fuel selector
My S4 has a wing tank and the main tank behind the seat. Both tanks are plumbed into fuel selector. In the assembly manual that I have it does not show a fuel selector. I have a few questions
1. Can the fuel selector be dispensed with and just have a straight feed with no selector?
2. Is it possible to replace the fuel tank selector with a selector that would allow me to Both, Wing tank, Main tank?
At the moment I need keep an eye on the watch and switch tanks after an hour, which leaves some unused fuel. I would like to arrange the fuel feeds so that the Wing tank can be fully used and preferably have a selector where I can set it to both tanks and not worry about changing over mid flight.
Any Ideas?

I've just written by snail mail to the nine S4/5 owners off the CAA, G-INFO  list, inviting them to join us, but that's excluding Ed Wallington as I expect Graham will be seeing him soon.
Mike Hallam.

No comments:

Post a Comment