Wednesday 27 January 2016

RansMail # 036 September 2004

 
a)    Another new microlight strip visited, this time Laddingford in Kent and on the CAA charts. The people there operate flex wings so my confidence in the little S4 was bolstered by their saying, last Friday, that it was too windy for them whilst for me it was one of the best days for flying this week and only a few lumps were felt in the one hour's flight each way. They refuelled me so I had no qualms about a slight head wind, as it was the actual flight time speed average was 47 mph. (It always sounds better than 40.8 knots !)
This was cruising briskly at around 5 3/4 thousand rev's, but still subject to what I'm beginning to appreciate is a microlight's inability to easily fly straight and level. Any relaxation and the engine rev's rise and fall with the 'plane descending and rising in sympathy. I guess its mass is too low and drag relatively high to expect too much inertial stability.
Regardless of that its a delight to get airborne in a plane that I can easily manhandle in & out of the hangar & with sufficient power to climb marvellously when needed. Around here, unlike Vince's Devon, there are plenty of fields where an emergency landing looks feasible, but the engine so far has started well and never caused angst. Once, that is, I'd replaced that worn carb. needle and jet which was causing a rich stutter. Fuel consumption seems regular now at 2 gph.
 
b)    I did have a fly in the strip's 100 h.p. Emeraude in quite bumpy conditions, Tuesday last, but an already dead main radio turned into a dead standby Icom which was powered by the a/c's main 12V bus, when the relatively newly fitted alternator's regulator packed up. I spent yesterday with the owner putting in an uprated device plus an over voltage gizmo that the purveyor newly prescribed. 
 Bough Beech Reservoir.
 
I recall Graham had similar problems. The consequential loss of at least two sets of avionics with concomitant damage to the rest of the panel mounted gear, as well as spoiling a planned day's excursion, should be firmly laid at the door of a supplier  "XX", who sold inadequately rated units  & knowingly allowed them to continue to be used, without recall or even warning. In this respect the simplicity of the Rans S4 & 5 set up is a bonus. I have had no trouble with the Icom or the GPS since running them off an unobtrusive floor mounted gel lead acid accumulator, so far even recharging it hasn't been necessary. In fact , that reminds me, I ought to take my voltmeter down and double check it. 
 
That supplier is well known in the PFA scene. I'm not advocating a return to the stultifying effects and cost of 'red tape', but clearly lacking absolutely or with rather weak systems equal say to A/D's in our Permit to Fly regime ,we need to be more vigilant and less trusting of non approved parts.  That's where our sort of forum can prove a bit of a safety net as views can be more freely expressed. Considering the alarmingly poor paperwork and condition of a newly Permitted S4 I went to buy in Northumberland in February, the PFA should itself take heed.  However in that case I too didn't stir things up once the Inspector confessed to his negligence and said he would rectify matters. Since then I've wondered whether that was a mistake on my part to let things go !
 
Mike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment