Saturday 9 January 2016

RansMail #011 April 3rd 2004 
 
 a)   Mike Olsen has now e-mailed in,  WELCOME, Mike. He wrote:-
  
Dear Mike,
Thanks for your note.
Yes, it seems like a good idea to have an e-mail forum. In fact I had a call from a chap a couple of weeks ago asking about noseleg specification.
I am also in the process of change, from flexwing to fixed wing in my case, but haven't flown my S5 yet. I'm hoping to complete my conversion lessons soon, given good Spring weather. 
Best Regards,  Mike Olsen    (G-MZDG).   Tel 01642 817808".
 
b)   In addition to the info returned to the group by Don, 
Ed has passed the following advice plus a phone no. to try for the Chatteris based owner:-
 
"exhausts: I had mine aluminium sprayed by RFI screening (they advertise in the BMAA and PFA magazines), seems OK. The only problem was finding a big box to pack it in.
 
The S4 at Chatteris, speak to Deepak at MSA (01354 742 340). He is CFI at Chatteris and it is owned by one of his (ex) students."
 
c)   Pictures all make the little Rans look great - this is Vince Hallam's S4 with 3 bladed prop, during his collection flight@ Dunkeswell en route from Bedfordshire to Torquay, last August. He's off to the Sun & Fun in Florida at the end of this week, toting a folding bike for the outing & expecting to meet the Rans people for some spares.
 
d)   On another matter; maybe there is experience to help me with the below subject, please.
On the Checklist notes, copied from Vinces own a/c's folder & posted out to you. it gave a max CHT as 250 C .  Assuming the transducer is the same type and pick up point on mine, it was showing 320 C when I flew it @ Dunkeswell. 
Should I ignore it or are the readings different for different installations ?   Or should I only worry when it changes from whatever its 'usual' steady reading is ?
 
d)   'Must Carry' stuff, I got this from another non Rans owner. 
" I like to carry a spare set too! And some exhaust springs, a roll of tape, cable ties, a coil of locking wire, a puncture repair kit incl the tools reqd to take off the wheel and a bike pump!! I'm sure that's not the complete list, I'm learning all the time ,"
The real problem is where to carry it. For my ferry flight I've prepared two small linen pockets one for each side and they have sewn tapes to tie to the fabric fixing eyelets and 'test' flew without encumbrance carrying 1 litre oil and basic charts. I've followed Vince's advice and just about found room to hang a funnel plus a filler extension pipe & a small fuel mixing container reasonably high behind the seat, which with my height is on the farthest back and lowest strap setting.
 
I'm off to Devon once more, by coach tomorrow, trusting Monday's winds will blow me home to Sussex.
 
Mike Hallam. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment