Wednesday 27 January 2016

RansMail # 031 July 2004
   
a)    I had a good look at the Rotax book parts diagram and it looks as if the needle circlip goes directly on top of the Bing carb. slide i.e. underneath the white plastic spring retainer. Mine was 
      on top of the cup, raising it a couple of m.m. so that would account for the mid range richness, which has now been cured as of the last two flights.

b)    At last Monday's local microlight pub meet I heard the needle position mentioned. According to a pundit, although the Rotax book still tells you to use the 2nd groove down from the top, the
       next to weakest setting, it's said that SkyDrive now recommend '3rd down', which is richer again ?   For the moment I'm staying with Graham's CD "book" figure.

c)    Miniature Dzus cowling fasteners are hard to track down & I'd recently taken to using locking wire round the holes where 2 screws had gone. Following Ed's info. I e-mailed Saywells at       
       the beginning of June, and as no other sources came up yet I chased them 6 weeks later to be told :-
       "Sorry emails to webmaster@lightaero.co.uk no longer go to Stephen. Please try either stephen@lightaero.co.uk or sales@lightaero.co.uk." I'm waiting for a fresh response.
       Meanwhile another flexwinger gave me Dzus' 'ph. number, who kindly sent me 4 samples of the nearest stock they carry, which were fitted with washers cut from a piece of inner tube to take
       up the slack. Otherwise they required a minimum order of 1,000.

d)    Grass cutting the strip is less frequent now the growth has eased off and can easily be left for 1 1/2 weeks, the tractor's new radiator fitted with the correct low 4 psi cap seems to have done the
       trick cooling the engine without the pressure being so high that it blows water out through the pump gland which itself probably dates from 1948. Which reminds me, my Emeraude friend
       suggested a look on the French 'Avions a Vendre' site. I saw a Luscombe for a reasonable price but horrified to note it was even older @ 1946, than my ancient Ferguson. Clearly a modern
       microlight is a  better bet & will have accumulated fewer snags & dings.

e)    There was also a Robin for 11k500 euros, the year is 1986, so still older than my Rans, with vee tail and JPX engine, which they said has a longer tbo than the Rotax, but I don't know it, or whether it's a 4    
       stroke.


f)    A J3 Cub from N.Ireland tied down last Wed. night at the strip, held up by poor wx on its way to the French RSA.  Eileen put up the pilot, Jeff Salter, he's the first flying overnight visitor we've had. He's an ATC man who thinks he must know you,  Brian ?  

Mike.

Jeff Salter Cub



No comments:

Post a Comment