Saturday 9 January 2016

RansMail #020  May 16th 2004
 
a)   After I previously mentioned having put on softer rate springs for tail wheel to rudder coupling on my S4, I did wonder if that was a step in the wrong direction for landing control.
However, so far on grass it gives superb control when rudder steering. A little brake makes her turn neatly when I get to the end of the runway to line up without seeming to put heavy loads onto the rudder or the tail wheel's leaf spring mounting as the wheel is able to caster naturally to 90 degrees to the fuselage on full rudder.
 
By coincidence there's been some exchanges on the Jodel pages copied below which seem to support my minor alteration, as they indicate some can even manage without any coupling !
 
"Subject: [Jodel] Free castoring tailwheel - an accident waiting to happen ?
a)   A member of our flying club arrived in her newly purchased D119 on her  first flight in a tail dragger accompanied by an experienced instructor.  This was just as well as a wing walker was needed to get her off the  runway safely.  This D11 has a free castoring tailwheel and brakes were said to be  necessary to keep it straight! I was rather surprised that the tailwheel  was not ganged to the rudder as usual (and there was no actuating horn on the tailwheel assembly for this purpose).

b)   I've been using a free-castoring tailwheel on my D9 for 10 years now without a hitch. I know it's tempting fate, but I guess you get used to what you've got. I've certainly never thought it was so hairy that I needed to install links to the rudder horns.

c)    Guess as you say it is what you are used to - I had the locking pin stick on the D150 tailwheel leaving it fully castoring last year and could not keep it on the runway after landing.  Admittedly there was about a 10 knot crosswind but at speeds of less than about 25 knots I just could not time the brake input well enough."
 
b)   My local PFA/BMAA inspector saw my S4 and commented unfavourably on the oil stains on the fabric from where I'd added to the lubricant on the aileron and flap hinges. Apparently apart from being unsightly it attacks the fabric so I want to know what's suitable for cleaning off our 'sailcloth' type fabric. Petrol or solvents sound a bit harsh and though I've yet to try it, soap seems possibly too mild to get into the weave ?
Any ideas are welcomed.
 
Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment