Wednesday 27 January 2016

RansMail  # 032 August 2004

The longish gap from the last message, number '31' I believe, is because my laptop and all data in it was stolen a fortnight ago.
Vince is now back from holiday and has copied me the last three issues to yield me your e-mail addresses. His broken pelvis is improving but no news of when he'll get into the cockpit, yet. In the meantime I'm using a borrowed p.c. and re-gathering what data I can all round.

I did get an e-mail today by chance from one of the listed S4 owners, Adam Castleton, I wrote to when all this began this spring, he's moved house so got the letter late and since when has sold the a/c on to a Mike Wyatt. So welcome to our little group, Mike.
Talking of selling I gather Graham Smith has decided two 'planes are one too many and is advertising his S5, retaining the S6 he built himself.

My S4 hasn't been used a tremendous lot, but has given me considerable fun locally. As it still awaits my fitting the top tank for longer endurance I managed to squeeze a 5 litre 'can' of top up fuel mix behind the seat as well as a travelling funnel & pipe, so I could refill her at my destination the other day. That worked so well I'll do it next time I go away as it makes one feel a lot more comfortable on the return when the wind often seems to be more on the nose. This week I did a local accompanied by a flex wing but throttling back to 5,000 revs had me mushing along at 40 to 45 and tricky to keep a steady speed and height. She appears to be best at 5,400 cruise giving about 50 mph and overall I'm using less than 9 litres/hour (2 gph).
Everything's in the a/c is working fine and my landings improved by wheeling on with a little power till well down; this appears to give easiest control.
 

 Mike Hallam.


S4 Take off techniques & cross winds
Dear All,

What are your take off techniques, I was speaking to a  previous builder of the S4 and he said as he applied full throttle then he also applied full rudder. Also what cross winds do you consider are too much?

Regards, Don.

Hi Don ,
            Now that's an interesting idea , I wonder if it is meant to suit all occasions??
If you have open ground i.e.no trees blanketing one side, then probably a cross wind will start to weather cock you as soon as you lose tailwheel authority, the trike however will be more docile..If you  have to apply full downwind rudder to keep straight various bits of cross coupling will come into play which usually means special effort to pre-empt lifting of upwind  wing - don't let it even start! I really don't have enough experience on S4 to say but obviously try to graduate from lighter to stronger  crosswinds. try to get some real measured winds before you do it each time ,  use a wind meter .Recognise the gusts and time between gusts, in fact its better to avoid gusty crosswinds.I would guess 5knots is easy , 10 knots work up to it .15 knots has been done , 20 knots its almost worth taking off on a shorter run directly into it. Also talk to Mike about crabbing in for landing as he has been doing side slips. Oops !                                                                                                                                                Vince the wince.
 
Dear Mike
Sorry I did not get back to you the other day. We had a bit of a panic after being hit by lightning. Most of my kit is now working again but the damage has cost a lot of money to sort out.
I thought I would try and sell the little plane as it is stuck in the hangar behind the other one and it needs three people to get it out. I think it would have been a difficult thing if someone had come along with the money. Anyway, I have decided to keep it. The big plane needs a permit on the 28th Aug so I will take the opportunity to put the S6 in the workshop and fly the small one for a bit. The s6 is just finishing it's first year and has done over 70 hours.
If you need help with something you can get me on 01304 827266.
Speak to you soon.
Graham 

No comments:

Post a Comment