Wednesday 27 January 2016

RansMail # 034 September 2004
 
a)   The curious 'up' flap position setting I mentioned last time was monitored whilst flying. With the stick naturally central and flying S.& L., the right flap was seen to be level with the aileron and the left flap about 3/4 inch below its aileron. All I could conclude was that some previous owner had cunningly adjusted the flap cables at the outer ends to compensate for a difference in each wing's lift characteristic to achieve a neutral balance. Consequently I'm not in a hurry to change things.
 
b)    After reading the 'book' and having received advice to try stick free landings in case of engine failure, I had a good go at power off glides and stalls with and without flap and tried slow flight at 30 mph i.a.s. to see if it sinks faster, judged off the v.s.i. , than at 50. Generally at height it felt quite reasonable in all these conditions without the need for massive nose down to keep her flying; though I couldn't easily detect the stall, there was no real wing drop or shaking yet the i.a.s. dropped to below 20, which surely can't be true. I imagine it was mushing and or losing height quite quickly but at that time I didn't look at the v.s.i.
Graham, I also did a full flap take-off rather than my now normal 2 stage and it feels significantly better for short field use, though with the awkward flap lever which I operate with my right hand, the 'book' suggestion of popping the flap down during take off for a shorter run still doesn't appeal.
 
c)    Vince has written that this Wednesday he'd:-
       "been watching forecasts which offered most sun and least wind for one way strip today. Went to hanger and refuelled and did 10 min run-up but though wind was 7-8 head wind component for T/O it was thus a TWC for landing. I went away till 3.30 hoping seabreeze would stifle the northwesterly but it was still being variable 4-8 and I wasn't keen on getting caught on short finals with even 5 knot TWC; anyway I hung up a bit of rag, struggled into cockpit and tried to start. No go !  I had to get out and do the proper drill instead of short cuts.  Proper drill = proper start .....taxied out 5 mins .....then OFF, very quick in spite of full tanks and slightly heavier pilot. Very difficult to do nav. and other timings, had to use my cellphone [tucked into sock] because  my watch is only right twice a day as it has died of age and harsh treatment (like us). 20 mins for a 50 mph fly around, can't see many good standby fields here in Devon, worry about getting help and wings off to tow home. Approach supposed to be 40-45 but hard to keep speed spot on, set 1 third flap and flew in pretty level, increasing power just at flare and touchdown which led to a big balloon to about 4-5 feet; NOT the best. Punters staying in the windmill holiday cottage thought it was wonderful......little did they know.
I'm not keen on tailwind landings here must go away and practise Touch and Goes but you never can because of neighbours, neigh-horses and 'nay' (to planes) Councils ."
 
Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment