Saturday 9 January 2016

RansMail #017  May 3rd 2004 
 
 
a)     May Bank Holiday w/end was nearly here but on the Friday in Sussex it rained all day. No chance of even thinking of aviating, especially as for me the rest of the w/end was spoken for, but I hoped for others that the forecast for better weather was correct. As it was in fact, as turned out clearer here in Sussex, starting late Saturday afternoon. Disappeared again Monday till quite late this afternoon again.

b)     Brian's Wt. & Balance programme was useful in calculating with my own bare a/c 'pro temp' weight figures with added crew & tools load, plus allowing for refitting the top tank etc. Notably the C of G moves forward right up to the max permitted position of 58.5" as fuel is used. But even fully loaded, the aft C of G @ 60" is at worst whole inch forwards of permitted rear position. i.e. 40 %  of the meagre 2 .5" range of 58.5 to 61 inches  reference to datum. 
        (It possibly explains why the trim lever has to be kept pulled fully back. - stronger elastic has yet to be tried). 


c)       Vince has sent three photo's & the following resume on his recent U.S. trip for us:-

 Sun`n Fun For S4 group, 
"Well I've been back a week now,  I'll try to forward some more pictures but lost my notes on the way back so can't be too sure about details.

Salesman Steve, at Rans, had been very helpful about assembling what I asked for by phone and E-mail although he did insist on up-front payments and was a little worried I might be setting up  as a separate U.K. agent.  It was all  waiting at their sales tent which was amongst the main kitplane display and not the microlights.There was not an S4 in sight .    They were concentrating on S6 and   something like post S12 [ Don't ask me!] and particularly  a new clone of the Canadian Skyranger sort of thing, with at least 912 and more weight and speed. 
Its  relatively new Rans company really and most people hadn't worked there long, so I didn't feel they really knew ALL about the older planes. One piece of info I got from a Rans guy was that "yes they did use restraints to stop u/c spread";    [ like some of you have had in one form or another and so did I after a dead smooth landing at Dunkeswell on the way to 'MOT' inspection]     They were wire and the same stuff that is used for tailplane bracing, looks about the same as 2 point 5 mm which is about 800 pounds I think , which is about the same strength as 4 or mm nylon and that's the stuff I've just put on my a/c.

There were several of other derivatives like this.The homebuilts were exotic or very exotic fast and expensive  carbon composites and  a lesser number of all metal .

Of the smaller engines Hirth seemed quite  popular and there were some HKS. For the bigger machines there were several tidy well developed automotive engines including Subaru, often supercharged, horsepower 120-280.  In  the micro area was Rotax, also an interesting projected 8 cyl radial of no stated hp but  I think 70-100. There were  a couple of turbo props at $30000 plus up to 180 - 220 hp and a modified and tidy Mazda wankel.  Rotax were there pushing the bigger engines but they still back the 447.

I brought home a different exhaust spring link arrangement which looks better, especially for pushers, but I don't know what PFA will say .
- I bought two new nylon wheels from aircraft spruce [who now have an office in UK] and also from Rans a windscreen, two bungees some filler cap rubbers and tiddly knurled fuel taps and loads of specific nuts and bolts which I rather pessimistically thought I might need. I also found somewhere a swivellling tailwheel that I couldn't resist and probably too heavy.
I then found that Rans late models had a full swivel tailwheel, which can be distinguished by having heavier flat strip horns instead of the tubular ones I've hitherto noticed. I also gathered that u/c legs are only built to order and only supplied as a complete assembly; this means a long delay if you bend one, ...........unless Sportair decide to hold a stock item.

I was really tempted by some of the new terrain map displays on  palmtops mingled with one by one quasi instrument displays derived from GPS ..........and by a new small  £100 radio, I got one there but still don't know how that should link to my existing headset.
        
Graham from Dover sent me a couple of broken steel telescoping leg pieces, which show that there is only 4-5 inches of tube sliding inside & in turn equals a max permissible of about 2 and 1/2 inches safe movement, so I've strapped mine up pretty tight.  Inspector Dave Silsbury is going to cast his eye over everything for the Annual on Thursday next, so fingers crossed.

Lastly, I believe Gordon asked me [ I cant find his number or address, can you remind me?]  about the right wooden prop I think it's 64" by 34" according to Chris Soden to whom I spoke today but I know Mike has the figures and probably the maker. Chris paid £275 all in to Sportair but I would try the new Aircraft spruce outfit advertising in BMAA.
 
                                                       Sun&Fun USA April 2004
 
 
 More pix when I get more help,

     Vince Hallam"


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment